Churches of the Reno

Pieve di Panico (Marzabotto)

Pieve di Panico (Marzabotto)

This church is dedicated to San Lorenzo and is above one of curves of the Reno river. Even if it was documented for the first time in 1049, it was built before that date. It was under the political influence of the powerful “Conti da Panico”, who dominated most of the Bolognese mountain area and whose fortress was quite near the church. It was built in a typical Romanesque style and was then enlarged. After three complete works of renovation, it is nowadays characterized by Romanesque splendour again. Kept in perfect condition, it is one of the most beautiful churches in the Bolognese mountain area. It has a wonderful decorated apse and is opened just during celebrations.

See on Map