Churches of the Reno

Rocca di Roffeno Church (Castel d’Aiano)

Rocca di Roffeno Church (Castel d’Aiano)

This church, dedicated to San Martino di Tours, was built during the Seventeenth century. It replaced an ancient Romanesque church dedicated to Santa Maria, whose remains include the bell tower. Inside there are some valuable paintings, such as Dionisio Calvaert’s “La Deposizione”,  Spagnoletto’s “Madonna col Bambino” and the Saints Pietro, Paolo and Bernardino, and some paintings of the Bolognese school belonging to different periods. There is also a valuable 18th carved confessional. It is open during religious celebrations.

See on Map

S. Lucia di Rocca di Roffeno Church (Castel d’Aiano)

S. Lucia di Rocca di Roffeno Church (Castel d’Aiano)

This church, dedicated to Santa Lucia and depending on Nonantola Abbey, was built in an unspecified time on a medieval street, in an area full of woods. It was documented for the first time in 1068, but was probably been built during the Tenth century. The Abbey had big plots of land and controlled some peregrine hospices, but from the Fifteenth century it gradually lost its importance. It was damaged during the Second World War and  was then reconstructed in Baroque style. one part of the crypt and some valuable capitals are in the Romanesque style,. It is open during celebrations and on Sundays.

See on Map