Castles of the Panaro

Village di Montalbano (Zocca)

Village di Montalbano (Zocca)

This little village was docmented for the first time in 1197. It has a little square that is characterized by a Sixteenth century open gallery sustained by sandstone columns. The other buildings have terracotta and tuff arches. The Santa Maria Assunta Church is a nice example of Eighteenth century architecture (it can be visited during religious celebrations). The attached parsonage, which was built on the ancient castle’s remains, dates from the Seventeenth century.

See on Map

Village of Ancient Zocchetta (Zocca)

Village of Ancient Zocchetta (Zocca)

The Sixteenth century village of Zocchetta Vecchia was documented for the first time in 1271 and is particularly interesting from the historical and environmental point of view. It is made of buildings with sandstone decorations and a Seventeenth century votive aedicule. The Seventeenth century Cà Barattini: a closed courtyard with a main building, oratory and rural house is particularly interesting. Not very far from the village is the “Natività della Vergine” oratory, built during the Seventeenth century and then enlarged with an elegant porch and a nice bell tower. It can be visited during religious celebrations.

See on Map