Castles of the Panaro

Castle of Montese

Castle of Montese

It was documented for the first time in 1178. In 1212 Emperor Ottone IV gave it to the Montecuccoli family, and they kept it until 1697. After having belonged to important families, it was gradually abandoned. In 1850 renovation works were carried out. It was damaged during the Second World War. After the war it was reconstructed and now it’s the Montese Historical Museum’s seat. What remains from the ancient castle is: the Fourteenth century crenellated look-out tower and the double boundary walls with a round-arched entrance door. It can be visited on Sundays from April to October : tel. 059. 971122.

See on Map