Castles of the Panaro

Village di Montalbano (Zocca)

Village di Montalbano (Zocca)

This little village was docmented for the first time in 1197. It has a little square that is characterized by a Sixteenth century open gallery sustained by sandstone columns. The other buildings have terracotta and tuff arches. The Santa Maria Assunta Church is a nice example of Eighteenth century architecture (it can be visited during religious celebrations). The attached parsonage, which was built on the ancient castle’s remains, dates from the Seventeenth century.

See on Map

Castle of Montequestiolo (Zocca)

Castle of Montequestiolo (Zocca)

Some remains dating from the Bronze Age (13th century b.C.) have been found in Montequestiolo. Now they are in the Archaeological Civic Museum of Modena. This castle was contended between the Modenese and Bolognese people. It belonged to numerous families, among which the Montecuccoli and Rangoni. There is still a Fourteenth century tower, some parts of the fortress and of the ancient walls. It has recently been renovated and is inside a public park.

See on Map