Castles of the Panaro

Village of Samone (Guiglia)

Village of Samone (Guiglia)

Longly contended between Modena and Bologna, it was subjected to Montecuccoli and Pio da Carpi. There are some valuable elements: the “Sala degli Stemmi” (“Coat of arms Room”) which is nowadays used as a “Tigella Museum” and some decorated windows and entrance doors. Inside the S. Nicola church, documented in the Twelfth century, there is an Eighteenth century painting representing the Saint and a golden table representing Saint Mary with the Child. It can be visited during religious celebrations.

See on Map

Village di Montalbano (Zocca)

Village di Montalbano (Zocca)

This little village was docmented for the first time in 1197. It has a little square that is characterized by a Sixteenth century open gallery sustained by sandstone columns. The other buildings have terracotta and tuff arches. The Santa Maria Assunta Church is a nice example of Eighteenth century architecture (it can be visited during religious celebrations). The attached parsonage, which was built on the ancient castle’s remains, dates from the Seventeenth century.

See on Map