Castles of the Panaro

Village of Montecorone (Zocca)

Village of Montecorone (Zocca)

Its date of construction is unknown. It belonged to Uguccione Contrari and was added to the Vignola marquisate. After having lost its defensive function, the castle was replaced by the Santa Giustina church and by houses built on ancient walls, which still have sandstone entrance doors and round-arched windows. At the feet of the village is the Seventeenth century San Rocco oratory.

See on Map

Village of Montombraro (Zocca)

Village of Montombraro (Zocca)

Montombraro castle was documented for the first time in 1110 and was involved in the bloody battles between the Modenese and Bolognese people. In the castle’s ancient area is the Parish Church dedicated to S.S. Salvatore. It dominates the historical centre and keeps its original plan, which is characterized by valuable architectural elements. Inside there are some important decorations and paintings

See on Map

Fontanini di Sotto di Montombraro (Zocca)

Fontanini di Sotto di Montombraro (Zocca)

Fontanini di Sotto is one of the most elegant villages in the Modenese mountain area. It is located in a dominating position, surrounded by a wonderful natural environment. It is constructed of some buildings placed in a half circle and defended by a strong Sixteenth century tower. The main building has a wonderful façade with some loopholes and little sandstone windows. The other building with a dovecote tower is really valuable, too. After having been accurately renovated, now it is used as an agritourism and so it can be visited.

See on Map