Churches of the Panaro

Verucchia Sanctuary (Zocca)

Verucchia Sanctuary (Zocca)

This church is dedicated to Saint Geminiano and was built during the Seventeenth century at the feet of the ancient castle walls. The fortification, which was bitterly contended by the Municipalities of Modena and Bologna, has been damaged over time and by the Second World War. Now we can see just a few parts of it, for example the ancient keep and the church with parsonage. Groups can visit it on reservation: tel. 059.985711

See on Map

Pieve di Semelano Church (Montese)

Pieve di Semelano Church (Montese)

This church is dedicated to the Saints Peter and Paul and was documented for the first time in 1159. During the Seventeenth century some renovation works took place, when its actual shape was built. To enter this church you have to pass through the monumental sandstone entrance door. The church is made of three naves separated by tuff columns and enriched by valuable capitals. The chapel on the right is dedicated to Saint Pellegrino, the second one keeps a Bolognese scagliola frontal dating 1681, while the chapel on the left has a Crucifix and an “Addolorata” dating from the end of Seventeenth century. There are two valuable paintings painted by Giovan Battista Bertusi, Ludovico Carracci’s apprentice: “Madonna del Rosario con i Misteri” and “Transito di San Giuseppe”. We’d also like to highlight the organ made by Domenico Traeri. The church is open in July and August on Wednesdays (9 -10.30 a.m.) and on reservation tel. 059.971122.

See on Map

Pieve di Montalto Church (Montese)

Pieve di Montalto Church (Montese)

This church is dedicated to Saint George and was documented for the first time in 1291. During the Seventeenth century it became bigger thanks to the only nave’s elongation and the bell tower’s construction. The chancel of the Sixteenth century church is undamaged. It is characterized by a two columns open gallery and there is a cupola on its central part, above the main altar. On the east side there are some traces of fresco paintings and the chancel’s arch. They belong to a previously existing church. After having been abandoned for decades, it has now gained its past splendour again. The church is open in July and August on Wednesdays (11-12.30 a.m.) and on reservation tel. 059.971122

See on Map